Summer has officially set in and that means warm days, blue skies, and fresh local produce.
Did you know, Minnesota farmers are busy harvesting loads of different vegetable varieties during the month of July? A few favorites are:
- Broccoli – There’s no better time than July to pick broccoli in Minnesota. Did you know, a cup of broccoli offers as much vitamin C as an orange?
- Carrots – Peak season in Minnesota is July through August. Carrots are loaded with antioxidants and help support healthy eyes, teeth, gums, and brain health.
- Herbs – Plenty of herbs grow easily in Minnesota and can even be grown indoors on your windowsill! Use them to spice up a recipe or add in some color.
- Garlic – It’s prime garlic season in Minnesota and that means recipes are about to get a lot more flavorful! This little veggie is low in calories and rich in vitamin C, vitamin B6, and manganese.
- Green Onions – July is the perfect time to eat Minnesota-grown green onions. Not only are green onions deliciously flavorful, they’re packed with fiber and folic acid – keeping you full and healthy.
- Green Beans – Green bean season peaks in July, meaning they’ll be crunchy, sweet, and ready to eat! Green beans help reduce your risk of heart disease and some colon cancers.
- Peppers – Minnesota peppers come in a wide variety of colors and degrees of heat. We suggest trying them all!
- Potatoes – Starchy, delicious, and versatile, potatoes are an absolute must-have for summer cooking. They’re fat-free and low in calories, so eat up!
Don’t have a garden? Stop by your closest farmer’s market, or explore one you’ve never been to, and pick up all the fresh veggies you’ll need for these delicious recipes. Oh, and don’t forget your Canoe Wild Rice!
Try These Delicious Recipes This Summer:
- Feeling like soup? Grab your potatoes, carrots, and wild rice for this delicious and simple recipe. Easily swap the bacon for tofu or toss in added veggies for a vegetarian-friendly version.
- This green bean and wild rice salad is the perfect picnic side dish on a warm summer’s day. You’ll need your fresh green beans, garlic, and herbs to make this a favorite amongst your friends.
- Stuff your favorite bell peppers with more veggies, melty cheeses, and wild rice for a hearty main dish. Add in chopped chicken or ground beef for a protein kick.
- Keep things simple with this vegetable-filled recipe. Add your own twist by tossing in whatever veggies you’ve got on your fridge.
Take your cooking to the next level this summer with locally grown produce and Canoe Wild Rice. Eating healthy never tasted so good!