Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
When it starts getting cold outside, this classic soup recipe is sure to warm you up. Our instructions include cooking the wild rice from scratch, but our convenient, all-natural Canoe Cooked Wild Rice can be used instead. Enjoy!
Posted in: Soups
¾ Cup Uncooked Wild Rice and 4 Cups Water*
1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil*
1 Small Diced Onion
3 Ribs of Sliced Celery
3 Medium Sliced Carrots
2 Tablespoons Butter
½ Cup All-Purpose Flour
3 Cups Undiluted Chicken Stock
1 ½ Cups Reserved Rice Stock
2 Cups Heavy Cream
1 Teaspoon Parsley
Dash of Salt and Pepper
Cooking the Wild Rice*
- Sauté rice in olive oil.
- Add water and salt to taste.
- Cook until rice is ¾ of the way done.
- Drain and reserve excess stock.
Making the Soup
- Sauté onions, celery, and carrots in melted butter in a large soup pot until the onion is translucent.
- Turn heat down, mix flour in thoroughly and cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Careful not to brown!
- Using a whisk, blend in hot chicken stock and the reserved rice stock.
- Cook, allowing the soup to thicken slightly.
- Add the cream and blend.
- Add the cooked chicken, salt, pepper, and parsley.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.
*2 cups of pre-cooked wild rice can be substituted, with the stock being adjusted accordingly.
Enjoy! Serves about 6.