Wild Rice Tomato Casserole
While the wild rice really steals the spotlight in this simple yet amazing dish, the tomato plays a strong supporting role. And with the bacon and other veggies, this hearty supper would make the perfect next-day lunch—if you’re lucky enough to have leftovers!
Posted in: Main Course
About 6 Slices of Diced Bacon
4 Cups of Cooked Canoe Wild Rice
1 Medium Onion, Chopped
1 Small Bunch of Scallions or Green Onions, Sliced
1/4 Cup Celery, Diced
3 Cups of Mushrooms, Sliced
1 Can of Tomatoes
1/2 Cup of Grated Aged Cheddar Cheese
1/4 Teaspoon of Marjoram
1/2 Teaspoon of Thyme
1/4 Teaspoon of Oregano
Salt and Pepper to Taste
Sliced Grape or Cherry Tomatoes (Optional)
- Fry the bacon until crisp.
- Add the cooked bacon to the cooked wild rice, reserving the drippings in the pan.
- Sauté onions, celery, and mushrooms in the reserved bacon drippings.
- Add the sautéed veggies to the wild rice, along with the tomatoes, grated cheddar, and seasonings.
- Mix well and add to a buttered 2-quart casserole dish.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour at 350° F.
- Serve with additional shredded cheddar and fresh, sliced grape or cherry tomatoes as a garnish topping (optional).
Makes 6 – 8 servings. Enjoy!