If we had a more official name for this easy-peasy (yet out-of-the-box) wild rice recipe, we’d call it Springtime Splendor Salad. It’s amazing what Canoe Wild Rice and a few other whole ingredients will do to a bed of fresh greens!
- Blend of baby greens: Kale, Romaine, Arugula, Escarole, Spinach, etc.
- Prepared and cooled Canoe Wild Rice (about 1/4 cup per person for this recipe; scale other ingredients accordingly)
- Chopped fresh tropical fruit, such as papaya, mango, or even peach
- Limes for juicing and garnishing
- Other chopped veggies, like celery, cucumber, and green onion
- Fresh chopped herbs, like mint, coriander, or parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Toasted slivered almonds, or other crunchy topping
- Prepare wild rice and cool, or use conveniently precooked Canoe Wild Rice.
- In a mason jar with a lid, mix the freshly chopped herbs you’d like to use with the juice of two or more limes (removing seeds) plus salt and pepper. Shake and let stand while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Chop your fruit into raspberry size sections, discarding any excessive juice.
- Chop other veggies and add to your prepared greens.
- If not baby sized already, rinse greens and tear into small pieces.
- For a one-person portion, start with a layer of greens and other chopped veggies, then prepared wild rice, then fruit, pour a couple of Tablespoons of dressing over your dish, and top with toasted almonds and a lime wedge.
- For a family-style or potluck dish, prepare a large serving bowl with your greens and other chopped veggies. Then add prepared wild rice and fruit, and toss. Just before serving, drizzle freshly-shaken dressing over the dish, and top with toasted almonds and lime wedges.